Although it can be helpful in some situations, double cleansing is not necessary for everyone. For many, one good cleanser is sufficient to get rid of dirt, oil, and irritants while washing away sunscreen and even makeup.
What is Double Cleansing?
Double cleansing is when two different cleansers are used, one right after another. There’s no set guideline, and there is no right way to double cleanse. Most people wash with an oil-based liquid cleanser, cleansing balm, gentle water-based cleanser, i.e., micellar water, or cleansing wipes, and then follow with a regular, water-based cleanser (cream, gel, or foam). The goal of double cleansing is to get a thorough cleanse.
When is Double Cleansing Useful?
Double cleansing isn’t necessary for most people. However, double cleansing can be helpful depending on the type of makeup and sunscreen you wear. Double cleansing may be beneficial if you wear: –
- Heavy or transfer-resistant makeup.
- Mineral-based sunscreen- contains active ingredients like titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide.
- Water-resistant makeup/sunscreen.
Best Way To Double Cleanse
People have their preferences- some prefer using micellar water and following with a water-based cleanser. Others enjoy the consistency of cleansing balms and oil cleansers, while others prefer cleansing wipes.
How To Double Cleanse
This article will go over how to double cleanse with micellar water and then a water-based cleanser.
PS: The hands and neck are the first places to age, mainly because they are neglected. They need some love too. Remember to include them in your skincare routine.
Double Cleansing With Micellar Water
- Clear skin off hair. Saturate a cotton pad with micellar water.
- Starting from the top, use light strokes across the face.
- Press and hold method- press pad on the eyelid, hold it for a few seconds, and softly wipe away.
- Gently, start at the center of your lips wipe off lipstick/ sunscreen/ debris.
- Don’t forget to clean your neck and décolletage.
- Rinse skin with water to wash away cleansing agents.
Double Cleansing With Water-Based Cleanser
- Clear skin off hair with headband or hair ties.
- Splash lukewarm water on the skin using clean fingers.
- Dispense an almond size amount of cleanser onto your palm. Rub it in your hands.
- Massage cleanser on the skin with gentle circular motions for 60 seconds.
- Avoid pulling on the skin and rinse thoroughly with warm water.
- Lastly, pat your skin dry with a soft clean towel. Do not rub.
Whoops, you're not connected to Mailchimp. You need to enter a valid Mailchimp API key.